Julie Gold is a New York Songwriter best known for Bette Midler’s version of her song FROM A DISTANCE which won the Grammy for Song of the Year in 1991.
That song has since received close to 5 million air plays:
• It has been recited into the Congressional Record (by Senator Barbara Boxer).
• It has been recorded internationally and translated into many languages.
• It has been illustrated as a Children’s Book and mass- produced in Music Boxes.
• It has been quoted in books, calendars and greeting cards.
• It was used as the wake-up call for astronauts in the Mir Space Station the very first time the Americans hooked up with the Russians in outer space.
A wide range of recording artists have covered it, singers from Jewel to Cliff Richard to The African Children’s Choir to Judy Collins to The Byrds to Donna Summer--just to name a few.
Nanci Griffith, the first to record FROM A DISTANCE, has also covered Gold’s songs HEAVEN, SOUTHBOUND TRAIN, GOOD NIGHT NEW YORK, MOUNTAIN OF SORROW, and LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE. Other artists who have recorded Julie Gold songs include Patti LaBelle, Patti LuPone, Lea Salonga, Andrea Marcovicci, Carol Woods, Sinead O'Connor and Kathie Lee Gifford. Gold’s Emmy Nominated lyric WE’RE 4 NEW YORK was a popular favorite that ran on the local NBC affiliate for years. Her song THANKS TO YOU was featured in the motion picture ANDRE, and her song DREAM LOUD was featured in the motion picture UNFAITHFUL, starring Richard Gere.
DREAM LOUD is also a favorite song of The Girl Scouts of America. Gold delights in the fact that she was paid in Girl Scout cookies for that transaction.
Gold has served on The Board of Governors for NARAS and is a guest artist for Lincoln Center's prestigious Meet The Artist Series.
She has 5 CDs documenting her work over the years: Dream Loud, Try Love, The Girl I Found, Love is Love is Love, and Sixty.
Currently she is writing songs for the Oxford University Press for a series that teaches English to elementary school children all over the world. As the daughter of an immigrant, she sees this as her most meaningful endeavor to date.
She performs and gives motivational speeches around the country.